Here is my low-carb version of Bison Burgers, high in protein and good fats, while keeping the sugars down where they should be.
1 LB Ground Bison
1.5 ounces Blue Cheese Crumbles
0.5 t Worchestshire sauce
0.5 t Fresh ground pepper
0.5 t Salt
1 Habanero (diced)
1 T Spicy Mustard
* Mix these items together into burger paste and let sit in the refridgerator for 1-2 hours.
- Heat coals while slicing up sweet pickles, peeling large lettuce leaves, cutting up banana peppers, slicing cherry tomatoes, and cutting up onion slices.
- Grill burger patties 5-6 minutes per side or until well done.
- The large romaine lettuce leaves serve as the bun, so lay the finished patty on a leaf.
- Add fixin's
- Take a smaller leaf and lay over the top
- NOM NOM NOM
Macro-nutrient Profile (based on 4oz Patty)
Carbohydrates: 5g (stay away from ketchup or BBQ sauce, or this will go way up)
Preemptive Disclaimer - I realize that A) worrying about one's diet, and B) having pretty flowers on your dining table may not qualify as "rugged." I know...I KNOW.